Introduction to Healing Dance® is a 16 hour weekend course designed for entry level students of aquatic bodywork.
Healing Dance® is a powerful and beautiful aquatic technique developed by Alexander George in 1993. It consists of ten trainings. In seven, techniques are taught in which the receiver remains on the surface of the water. The three remaining trainings are subaquatic, featuring a variety of submergings. The guiding philosophy of the work is that… …movement is the “medicine” and in the experience of “received dance” the healing process in the body is activated.
- Students learn to create the sensation of lightness and weightlessness, to generate a rhythmic field, to find the various “rhythms of awareness” for clients and even to channel movement.
- Physical and emotional blockages are resolved in the polarity between freedom and security.
- Advanced body mechanics are taught to create movements of greater subtlety and sensitivity.
As the vocabulary of movements expands students become more confident to improvise and better respond to the needs of the client.
How Healing Dance® works ?
Healing Dance® has many aspects, all based on the healing power of movement. The practitioner establishes an empathetic connection with the receiver and is trained to mirror any incipient kinetic impulses. Movement is understood as medicine and carefully dosed, intermixed with restful pauses in quiet positional sanctuaries to allow for integration of its effects. The practitioner ‘dances’ the receiver, who has an experience of grace and beauty, sometimes leading to deeper emotional releases. Healing Dance could be understood as silent music, consisting of rhythmic impulses of pressure, touch and movement played upon the body’s proprioceptors. The dance is between the subliminal message within each movement and the receiver’s subconscious mind. That which has slowed down or ceased to move within the psyche is inspired to awaken into playful participation. Thus, the healing comes from within.
- Healing Dance®’s wide variety of original techniques reflects how water and the body naturally move together.
- Blocked energies are opened up by more than thirty hydrodynamic waves and spirals, as well as various spatial mandalas in the form of circles, figure 8’s and releases, freeing and re-animating the body.
- Healing Dance® takes advantage of the full three-dimensionality of the water with broad dynamic movements.
- A variety of advanced body mechanics techniques such as moving by example, creative imbalance and traveling through the pool help to create not only bigger movements, but also subtler and more sensitive ones.
- The essence of Healing Dance is flow, freedom and lightness.
As the vocabulary of movements expands, students become more confident to improvise and better respond to the needs of the receiver.